tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rajeev Jha <jha.raj...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Rephrased: Maximum number of simultaneous HTTP connections
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2006 16:02:10 GMT
Tp wrote:

> And there seems to be no workaround, because the connection will close
> after the doGet() and doPost() method finishes (is that actually
> true?). So, the only way to keep 3000 simultaneous connections is to
> keep 3000 of those methods from returning, wehich means keeping 3000
> threads busy.

You can try jetty 6 also [ if you are not very particular about using
tomcat ] . Jetty 6 Continuations can help you do a suspend/resume  of
request. so a thread is not blocked due to  idle wait and you can
multiplex more connections on less threads.

> I know for example that BEA and JRun are very performant, but
> unfortuantely BEA is to expensive and then Macromedia only talks about
> the HTTP requests per second in their benchmarking tests, which is
> very different from what I'm asking.

requests/second can be misleading in this case. what you want to know is
"# open connections vs. latency for user".