tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <tomcat-u...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: tomcat users file
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2006 15:18:53 GMT
During startup, tomcat reads tomcat-users.xml and then immediately
writes it out again as tomcat-users.xml.new and afterwards renames
tomcat-users.xml.new to tomcat-users.xml (I don't know who invented that
...).

So either:

- the runtime user has write access to the directory tomcat-users.xml is
in (usually conf, but you can choose another one in server.xml), or

- you use at least Tomcat 5.5.12 (better 5.5.15 or 5.5.16) which has a
patch I submitted at 2005-08-04 that

      - logs a nicer message when it cannot write out and proceeds startup
      - allows tomcat-users.xml to be configured as readonly. I think it
works like this:

     <GlobalNamingResources>

                 type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase"
          description="User database that can be updated and saved">
       </Resource>
       <ResourceParams name="UserDatabase">
         <parameter>
           <name>factory</name>

<value>org.apache.catalina.users.MemoryUserDatabaseFactory</value>
         </parameter>
         <parameter>
           <name>pathname</name>
           <value>conf/tomcat-users.xml</value>