tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tp>
Subject Re: Rephrased: Maximum number of simultaneous HTTP connections
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2006 13:59:45 GMT
David Delbecq schrieb:
>>Here a diagram:
>>Client sends GET -> Server
>>Server sends HEADERS (Content Encoding: Chunked) -> Client
>>Server sends chunks -> Client
>>Client displays them whenever they arrive.
> Just one point. If your 'client' is a classical browser it won't work
> like this out of the box, for the simple reason you have no guarantee
> the client will do any display before it receive </html>
> There are provisition in http standard for a progressive display of a
> page. I can't remember like that the references in http 1.1 specs, just
> give it a look. It's based on a server pushing of page refreshes on a
> keep-alive connection. But it need special headers.

Well in practice and real life it works fine. All the major Browser
display the content, which they receive right away, as long as it's a
complete chunk or message.

I think its better anyway not to wait for the whole message to complete
before displaying it. Why let the user wait, if you can already display
part of the content?!