tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tp ...@weboperations.com>
Subject Re: Rephrased: Maximum number of simultaneous HTTP connections
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2006 11:24:53 GMT
David Delbecq schrieb:
> Tp a écrit :
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>we have to develop a high performance chat based only on HTML and HTTP
>>only for a television company. The chat's output window requires one
>>open HTTP connection per client, which means that you need at least
>>3000 simultaneous ie. open HTTP connections for 3000 chatters.
>>
>>To the former post people replied that HTTP in combination with the
>>Servlet API is not made for this. The basic problem is that you a.)
>>run out of connections and b.) out of threads after a while. The
>>servlet API of Tomcat dedicates one Thread to each connection, which
>>is particular bad.
>

> If you don't like it, complain to sun about their j2ee specs. In my
> point of view, this is really good as it guarantee context isolation of
> requests for application writer.

You are right I should. And one does not have to exclude the other. It
would be nice if you could configure it actually. Could be as simple as
to leave up the decision about when the connection closed up to the
servlet programmer. Automatic, when the service() method finishes or
explicitly by running something on the response object like a
closeConnection().

>>And there seems to be no workaround, because the connection will close
>>after the doGet() and doPost() method finishes (is that actually
>>true?). So, the only way to keep 3000 simultaneous connections is to
>>keep 3000 of those methods from returning, wehich means keeping 3000
>>threads busy.
>>
>>So I guess my question is: How many TCP connections can be created on
>>a single machine using Java and then how many threads can be created
>>so that application still responds? I assume that the machine runs on
>>a Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz with 1 GB of RAM under linux and that all the file
>>descriptor limits are set to the maximum.
>

> I think i already answered you in my previous mail. The answer is...
> depends!

Yes, I'm sorry but I was wondering if somebody actually has a production
system running, which handles that many open requests, because as you
know there is always a difference bettween talking and theorizing about
it, developing and testing it and goind live with it.