tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tp ...@weboperations.com>
Subject Rephrased: Maximum number of simultaneous HTTP connections
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2006 10:26:51 GMT
Hi,

we have to develop a high performance chat based only on HTML and HTTP
only for a television company. The chat's output window requires one
open HTTP connection per client, which means that you need at least 3000
simultaneous ie. open HTTP connections for 3000 chatters.

To the former post people replied that HTTP in combination with the
Servlet API is not made for this. The basic problem is that you a.) run
out of connections and b.) out of threads after a while. The servlet API
of Tomcat dedicates one Thread to each connection, which is particular bad.

And there seems to be no workaround, because the connection will close
after the doGet() and doPost() method finishes (is that actually true?).
So, the only way to keep 3000 simultaneous connections is to keep 3000
of those methods from returning, wehich means keeping 3000 threads busy.

So I guess my question is: How many TCP connections can be created on a
single machine using Java and then how many threads can be created so
that application still responds? I assume that the machine runs on a
Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz with 1 GB of RAM under linux and that all the file
descriptor limits are set to the maximum.

Can anybody give me some Hardware and Software recommendations on a Java
Application sever, which can handle up to 3000 simultaneous HTTP
connections and still respond?

I know for example that BEA and JRun are very performant, but
unfortuantely BEA is to expensive and then Macromedia only talks about
the HTTP requests per second in their benchmarking tests, which is very
different from what I'm asking.

yours,
Tim