tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tp ...@weboperations.com>
Subject Maximum number of simultaneous HTTP Requests / Performance
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2006 08:20:39 GMT
Hi,

we have to develop a high performance chat based only on HTML and HTTP
only for a television company. The biggest issue is performance. The
chat's output window requires one open HTTP connection per client. This
means, that when you have 3000 people following the chat that the server
has to be able to handle 3000 simultaneous ie. open HTTP connections.

I have read some old benchmark tests. In those Tomcat does not get a
very good rating compared to other servers like JRun, BEA and others,
since it does not use NIO or some native methods. I guess I could try
just to open 3000 threads on my machine which write some output and see
how it's doing but I guess that does not really tell me anything reliable.

So I was wondering if anybody can really tell me what Tomcat's (5.5)
limit is on this? How many simultaneous HTTP connections can Tomcat
handle and still respond in such a way, that the application stays
useable. I assume that the machine runs on a Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz with 1 GB
of RAM under linux and that all the file descriptor limits are set to
the maximum.

The second question I have is, that lets assume the limit of a single
tomcat instance is at 2000 connections, how could I use a cluster and
loadbalancer to increase the total amount of simultaneous HTTP
connections of the "Applicaiton" and this really possible? Does anybody
in here have pratical experience for a live production system, which is
in use and handles many HTTP connections?

yours,
Tim