tomcat-users mailing list archives

From SnowCrash <>
Subject CreateJavaVM Failed when setting PermSize
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2006 07:28:58 GMT

Hello all,

I'm trying to override the default PermSize and MaxPermSize values in the
JVM due to some OutOfMemory errors we were getting recently, but I don't
appear to be able to set this in the Tomcat Service Properties (on Windows).

I have tried adding:

to the "Java options" section in the "Java" tab of the Tomcat Service
configuration dialog, but this prevents the service from starting, simply

[409  javajni.c] [error] CreateJavaVM Failed
[930  prunsrv.c] [error] Failed initializing java
[1179 prunsrv.c] [error] ServiceStart returned 2

In the service log.

I have also tried adding:

-Dcatalina.opts=-XX:PermSize=128m -XX:MaxPermSize=160m

(I saw this on another post somewhere).  This appears to do nothing as the
MemoryPoolMXBean for the Perm Gen memory pool still reports a max size of

I have also tried setting an environment variable under JAVA_OPTS for the
same config (I saw this mentioned somewhere too); but again nothing.

Anyone know how I can configure the JVM under a Windows (service)
installation of Tomcat to change the Initial/Max PermSize?

Seems to me the first option should work but crashes the JVM.

I am using:

Windows XP SP2

Sent from the Tomcat - User forum at

To unsubscribe, e-mail: