tomcat-users mailing list archives

From SnowCrash <jason.poli...@gmail.com>
Subject CreateJavaVM Failed when setting PermSize
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2006 07:28:58 GMT

Hello all,

I'm trying to override the default PermSize and MaxPermSize values in the
JVM due to some OutOfMemory errors we were getting recently, but I don't
appear to be able to set this in the Tomcat Service Properties (on Windows).

I have tried adding:

-XX:PermSize=128m
-XX:MaxPermSize=160m

to the "Java options" section in the "Java" tab of the Tomcat Service
configuration dialog, but this prevents the service from starting, simply
listing:

[409  javajni.c] [error] CreateJavaVM Failed
[930  prunsrv.c] [error] Failed initializing java
C:\tomcat-5.5.12\bin\bootstrap.jar
[1179 prunsrv.c] [error] ServiceStart returned 2

In the service log.

I have also tried adding:

-Dcatalina.opts=-XX:PermSize=128m -XX:MaxPermSize=160m

(I saw this on another post somewhere).  This appears to do nothing as the
MemoryPoolMXBean for the Perm Gen memory pool still reports a max size of
64m.

I have also tried setting an environment variable under JAVA_OPTS for the
same config (I saw this mentioned somewhere too); but again nothing.

Anyone know how I can configure the JVM under a Windows (service)
installation of Tomcat to change the Initial/Max PermSize?

Seems to me the first option should work but crashes the JVM.

I am using:

jdk1.5.0_04
tomcat-5.5.12
Windows XP SP2