tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Warren Pace <wap...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Re: Easy Tomcat Linux/Unix Platform
Date Sun, 30 Apr 2006 17:43:39 GMT
 lrnobs - need to make a correction to my reply.  Regarding versions of Tomcat offered as packages
with Linux distributions.  Change that to read 5.0.3 not 5.3.0.

> From: Warren Pace <wapace@bellsouth.net>
> Date: 2006/04/30 Sun PM 01:39:40 EDT
> To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: Easy Tomcat Linux/Unix Platform
>
> SUSE 10 would be a good choice.  It's the Novell group's open source offering.  After
installation & updates you'll have the latest sun jvm (you'll want to add inst-source.java
to your install sources list), and a very recent MySQL.  The only problem is with Tomcat.
 I know of no Linux distribution that offers a version of Tomcat higner than 5.30 as a package
and I believe the latest stable version is 5.5.16.  It's not too hard to set up.
> Like most recent Linux distrbutions, you can download and burn a minimal install cd and
do the rest over the web.  Take your time during the install process.  Be sure not to accept
the defaults (i.e. your host name would be linux, etc., etc).  Debian and Fedora are other
good ones (Debian probably has the fastest web-based install). My main reason for using SUSE
is that it has a package which, when installed, allows your machine to emulate a Novell Netware
server...