tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rumpa Giri <gir...@yahoo.com>
Subject memory footprint question (5.0.28)
Date Tue, 25 Apr 2006 00:28:11 GMT
I had a question on individual memory footprint of a tomcat instance and increasing the number
of instances:

Is this assumption correct that increasing the number of instances of tomcat on a machine
and modifying the IIS worker properties to have more worker instances in the balanced_worker
property will reduce individual tomcat memory foot print?

For example, currently we have one machine has 3 tomcat instances running, the IIS worker
properties, balanced_worker property points to the 3 tomcats and each worker lb_factor is
1. Current snapshot of memory usage is approx 175MB. If we add more tomcat instance and add
them to the balanced_worker also, will the memory usage reduce for individual tomcat instance;
now that the IIS will spread the new requests evenly among the tomcats?

Thanks,
Rumpa Giri