tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Bodo Piehl <Bodo.Pi...@web.de>
Subject autocreate a Context Descriptor for webApps without META-INF/context.xml
Date Sun, 23 Apr 2006 17:13:34 GMT
I read in the documentation in chapter "A word on Contexts" the text below.

If I put a war-file (which doesn't contain a META-INF/context.xml) into the webapps-dir,

the war-file is extracted and the webApp deployed, e.g. on startup.

But afterwards the Context Descriptor isn't autogenerated and placed in
  $CATALINA_HOME/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/
as expected.

As a result my webApp is deployed every startup again.

Do I need to set a flag to turn on that behavior in Tomcat?

I use Tomcat 5.5.16.
Can anybody reproduce my problem?

thanks

Bodo

----
Context Descriptors not only help Tomcat to know how to configure Contexts but other tools
such as the Tomcat Manager and TDC often use these Context Descriptors to perform their roles
properly.

The locations for Context Descriptors are;

   1. $CATALINA_HOME/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/context.xml
   2. $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/[webappname]/META-INF/context.xml

If a Context Descriptor is not provided for a Context, Tomcat automatically creates one and
places it in (1) with a filename of [webappname].xml although if manually created, the filename
need not match the web application name as Tomcat is concerned only with the Context configuration
contained within the Context Descriptor file(s).
----