tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Andreas Schildbach <andr...@schildbach.de>
Subject Re: per-webapp logging problem with Tomcat 5.5
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2006 08:00:00 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

>>Could it be that all libraries I use go to the wrong log?
>
> All your libraries, like Spring, will use their own logger names. All
> these loggers are not defined in your configuration, so will all use
> the handlers for the root logger (".handlers").
> org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[app2.de] is only
> used for logging the container logs for the specified host.

Could you tell me if it's possible to redirect logging of "own logger
names" to the webapps logs? I want true per-webapp/context logging,
including Spring/Hibernate and the like (actually those a far more
important for me than the container log).

> The documentation describes how to specify per webapp logging (with an
> example). You should read it.

I have read

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/logging.html

over and over again during the last months. I must admit that I don't
understand it entirely; for example it is nowhere mentioned that I have
to list all handlers in the "handlers" property.

It is also not clear what the digits in the prefixes mean, and if they
have to be unique or in an ascending order without gaps.

Regards,

Andreas