tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <>
Subject Re: How to identify version of a running Tomcat and similar trivia
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2006 03:26:11 GMT
The Http10Connector refers to HTTP/1.0.  It also means that you've got a TC
3.x server running there.  If you've got a conf/modules.xml then it's
probably TC 3.3.1a (since 3.3.2 uses the CoyoteConnector by default).
Otherwise, it's probably TC 3.2.4.

It also explains why there is no /manager webapp, since it's called /admin
in TC 3 (and is much less full-featured than /manager in later TC versions

<> wrote in message
Hi Tim,

thanks for referring me to the Tomcat FAQs.
That's for sure the first source of information one should read
before nagging the list community with redundant questions.
At least did I find therein a description how to enable CGI

Yet, the trivial task of identifying a running Java thread's
Tomcat version seems rediculously convoluted.
I assume the mentioned version script isn't much more than a mere
wrapper script that puts together the a hundred chars long java
invocation of some class method call that most likely is called
version() along with the loading of a dozen jar libs etc. (only
joking ;-)
Anyway, far more than anyone can remember and type without making

Only problem is, my Tomcat depot on this box (randomly picked one
of our HP-UX boxes, but we also have Tomcats running on Linux,
AIX, Solaris (and probably Win32) doesn't seem to have bundled
such a wrapper script.

# swlist |grep -i tomcat
  hpuxwsTomcat                  A.    HP-UX Tomcat-based
Servlet Engine

(ok, I concede with a properly bundled hpux depot I get a
revision string that happens to be the same as the bundled Tomcat
version, but that's not everywhere the case)

# swlist -l file hpuxwsTomcat|grep -cF version

So where can I get such a version script?
Hm, most likely in the official Apache Tomcat tarball
Ok, I got that already for my Linux install problem (where I
first thought to be required to compile from sources by Ant).
Let's see if I find it there

$ gzip -dc apache-tomcat-5.5.15.tar.gz |tar tf -|grep -F version

Yup, let's see what its content is

$ gzip -dc apache-tomcat-5.5.15.tar.gz |tar xf -

$ grep EXE apache-tomcat-5.5.15/bin/
if [ ! -x "$PRGDIR"/"$EXECUTABLE" ]; then
  echo "Cannot find $PRGDIR/$EXECUTABLE"
exec "$PRGDIR"/"$EXECUTABLE" version "$@"

What the hack is catalina?
Only know of an island off the coast of Los Angeles of that name,
and a nice WWII water plane.

But if I have the script anyway, and the only arg it
is fed with happens to be "version"
then I won't require the version script on my hpux boxes anyway.
What a production...

Then some of you mentioned a manager or admin webapp.
Is this provided along with the basic Tomact installation, or an

Well, when I run a GET on this URI on the Http10Connector
according to this server's server.xml
(btw, what is a Http10Connector? does it refer to the maximum
I only get a 404 server response.
Seems there is further installation of a servlet required.

# wget -O - http://localhost:8081/manager/html
--16:52:07--  http://localhost:8081/manager/html
           => `-'
Resolving localhost... done.
Connecting to localhost[]:8081... connected.
16:52:07 ERROR 404: Not Found.

View raw message