tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Anoop kumar V <anoopkum...@gmail.com>
Subject request.getHeader() gives null
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2006 18:49:00 GMT
HI All,

I am using Tomcat5.
I have a simple jsp displaying the header information that I have set in
another jsp page. For some reason I can see all the default headers except
the headers that I have set in this jsp. I am doing a jsp:forward to go to
the next page which displays the header information ( I have also tried
redirect - but just wont work)...

index.jsp----------------------------------------------------

<%@ page import="java.io.PrintWriter"%>
<%--
 @author <a href="mailto: akumar@iditarodsys.com">Anoop Kumar V.</a>
         Date: Jan 19, 2006 4:13:05 PM
--%>
<%@ page contentType="text/html;charset=UTF-8" language="java" %>
  </head>

  <%
      System.out.println("Jsp called successfully");

      response.addHeader("userName","GSE_FMS");
      response.setHeader("userName","GSE_FMS");  //just to be sure.....
      response.addHeader("myValue","theValue");

      boolean isheader = response.containsHeader("userName");

      System.out.println("\n!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!\ncontains userName
header ..."+isheader);
      System.out.println("contains myValue header ..." +
response.containsHeader("myValue"));
      //response.sendRedirect("/TestHeaderResponse.jsp");

  %>
  <jsp:forward page="/TestHeaderResponse.jsp"/>
--------------------------
TestHeaderResponse.jsp----------------------------------------------
<%@ page import="java.util.Enumeration"%>
<%--
 Created for Sikorsky GSE
 @author <a href="mailto: akumar@iditarodsys.com">Anoop Kumar V.</a>
         Date: Jan 19, 2006 4:13:05 PM
--%>
<%@ page contentType="text/html;charset=UTF-8" language="java" %>
  </head>
  <%
      System.out.println("Test header response page called successfully");

      String s = request.getHeader("userName");
      System.out.println("user: "+s);           // Issue: always returns
null even though set in the previous page
      out.println("USERNAME HEADER: " + s +"<br/>");

      Enumeration headernames = request.getHeaderNames();
      System.out.println("Headers---------");
      while (headernames.hasMoreElements()){
          String headername = (String)headernames.nextElement();
          String headervalue = request.getHeader(headername);
          System.out.println(headername+"----"+headervalue);
          out.println("    " + headername+"----"+headervalue + "<br/>");
          out.flush();
    }
  %>

I think I am doing something fundamentally wrong....

Also can someone help me with understanding how the setHeader and getHeader
works - we use response.setHeader to set but use request.getHeader to read
the header values. Is it that the response of the first page becomes the
request of the next jsp....
--
Thanks and best regards,
Anoop