tomcat-users mailing list archives

From <Ralph.Gro...@itdz-berlin.de>
Subject RE: How to identify version of a running Tomcat and similar trivia
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2006 15:57:06 GMT
Hi Tim,

thanks for referring me to the Tomcat FAQs.
That's for sure the first source of information one should read
before nagging the list community with redundant questions.
At least did I find therein a description how to enable CGI
support.

Yet, the trivial task of identifying a running Java thread's
Tomcat version seems rediculously convoluted.
I assume the mentioned version script isn't much more than a mere
wrapper script that puts together the a hundred chars long java
invocation of some class method call that most likely is called
version() along with the loading of a dozen jar libs etc. (only
joking ;-)
Anyway, far more than anyone can remember and type without making
typos.

Only problem is, my Tomcat depot on this box (randomly picked one
of our HP-UX boxes, but we also have Tomcats running on Linux,
AIX, Solaris (and probably Win32) doesn't seem to have bundled
such a wrapper script.

# swlist |grep -i tomcat
  hpuxwsTomcat                  A.4.1.29.04    HP-UX Tomcat-based
Servlet Engine

(ok, I concede with a properly bundled hpux depot I get a
revision string that happens to be the same as the bundled Tomcat
version, but that's not everywhere the case)

# swlist -l file hpuxwsTomcat|grep -cF version
0

So where can I get such a version script?
Hm, most likely in the official Apache Tomcat tarball
distribution.
Ok, I got that already for my Linux install problem (where I
first thought to be required to compile from sources by Ant).
Let's see if I find it there

$ gzip -dc apache-tomcat-5.5.15.tar.gz |tar tf -|grep -F version
apache-tomcat-5.5.15/bin/version.bat
apache-tomcat-5.5.15/bin/version.sh

Yup, let's see what its content is

$ gzip -dc apache-tomcat-5.5.15.tar.gz |tar xf -
apache-tomcat-5.5.15/bin/version.sh

$ grep EXE apache-tomcat-5.5.15/bin/version.sh
EXECUTABLE=catalina.sh
if [ ! -x "$PRGDIR"/"$EXECUTABLE" ]; then
  echo "Cannot find $PRGDIR/$EXECUTABLE"
exec "$PRGDIR"/"$EXECUTABLE" version "$@"

What the hack is catalina?
Only know of an island off the coast of Los Angeles of that name,
and a nice WWII water plane.

But if I have the catalina.sh script anyway, and the only arg it
is fed with happens to be "version"
then I won't require the version script on my hpux boxes anyway.
What a production...

Then some of you mentioned a manager or admin webapp.
Is this provided along with the basic Tomact installation, or an
add-on.

Well, when I run a GET on this URI on the Http10Connector
according to this server's server.xml
(btw, what is a Http10Connector? does it refer to the maximum
bandwidth?)
I only get a 404 server response.
Seems there is further installation of a servlet required.

# wget -O - http://localhost:8081/manager/html
--16:52:07--  http://localhost:8081/manager/html
           => `-'
Resolving localhost... done.
Connecting to localhost[127.0.0.1]:8081... connected.
16:52:07 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Regards
Ralph

trivial
> > questions.
> >
> > 1. How can I identify the version of a running Tomcat without
> > reaping it or wreaking similar havoc?
> >
> > Back in ole Apache days things where easy.
> > You only had to locate the residence of the httpd daemon's
binary
> > (which was just a glance at the proc table),
> > and run a httpd -v on it.
> > These times all I can see is a running Java master thread.
> > All it discloses is the version of the Java interpreter from
the
> > respective JRE.
> >
> > 2. How to quickly introspect a Tomcat's child thread,
resource
> > usage?
> >
> > I cannot see from the OS's proc table how many child threads
> > master has spawned and keeps maintaining,
> > nor which resources they share.
> > If something gets cranked up, what seems to be quite often
for
> > some of our Tomcat implementations
> > (almost never experienced a crashing Apache), all I can do is
> > killing the master thread
> > if it is still appearing in the proc table though.
> > (I assume the rather instability is owe to too many average
Java
> > hackers deem themselves eligable to tinker with the Tomcat's
> > memory management relying on automatic garbage collection,
only
> > comparing this with what I learned about mod_perl and proper
> > initializations and freeing of resources)
> >
> > 3. How to identify a Tomcat's config?
> >
> > Well, I could run a find for server.xml, but this would most
> > likely spit out a dozens of namesake files
> > of various "test" instalations that aren't of relevance.
> >
> > I think, there ought to be an URI one could query.
> >
> > For instance when I lookup the proc table on a hpux box at
best I
> > can only see this mess
> >
> > $ UNIX95= ps -x -C java -o args=
> > /opt/java1.5/bin/PA_RISC2.0/java -Xverbosegc:file=/tmp/gc.out
> > -server -Xms256m -Xmx256m -Xmn128m -XX:+DisableExplicitGC
> > -XdoCloseWithReadPending

-Djava.security.policy==/opt/hpapache2/tomcat/bin/../conf/tomcat.
> > policy -Dtomcat.home=/opt/hpapache2/tomcat/bin/..
> > org.apache.tomcat.startup.Main start
> >
> > Ok, from this I could at least guess that there might be a
> > /opt/hpapache2/tomcat/conf/server.xml
> > lingering.
> >

> > 4. Parsing the config
> >
> > Despite their ever increasing whitespread I think these XML
style
> > config files are a nuisance for a sysadmin
> > who neither is able to nor willing to use an X application
for
> > config maintenance, querying
> > (think of low bandwidth serial line connections and the
impedence
> > by ubiquitious firewalls)
> > I wouldn't quite argue that a sendmail.cf file is anything
more
> > readable to the human,
> > but I find it rather overkill to throw in an XML parser
module
> > (like CPAN's XML::Simple, XML::Parser or XML::SAX)
> > merely to find out basic configuration settings (e.g. like
> > listening ports).
> >
> > So is there a CLI tool or a special URI for quereing a
Tomcat's