tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Brad O'Hearne <br...@neurofire.com>
Subject Re: why use mod_jk?
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2006 14:49:28 GMT
Jess,

Thanks for the reply. Responses below:

On Feb 24, 2006, at 6:51 AM, Jess Holle wrote:

> If you're using Apache 1.3.x or 2.0.x, mod_jk is pretty simple
> overall.
>
> No, you don't want to even try in-process stuff and, yes, if you
> have a firewall in between Apache and Tomcat that drops idle
> connections you should read carefully (this is covered by the docs).
>
> The only big complaint I have is that the mod_jk docs don't make it
> terribly clear (or didn't last I checked) exactly how to set
> jvmRoute in Tomcat and how extraordinarily critical this is when
> doing load balancing.  The Tomcat docs don't make this terribly
> clear either -- apart from a comment in server.xml.  Most everyone
> I know who tries mod_jk load balancing gets hung up on this one
> point unless/until I give them a detailed explanation.  Apart from
> the lack of clear/obvious information on this in the mod_jk docs
> (which should include it considering most folk won't think to check
> both mod_jk and Tomcat docs), this is actually very simple as well,
> though.

None of the configuration steps in and of itself are difficult.
Building mod_jk is not difficult. Editing configuration files is not
difficult. Its after you've put it all together, exactly as noted on
a hodge-podge of Googled URLs, and it doesn't work, and one cryptic
line in a log file, and the right connections not being made between
apache and tomcat, which send you into hours of trial and error. With
regards to your comments above, I didn't tangle with load balancing
at all, and apache and tomcat reside on the same box, no firewall
between them. Yes, you'd think this would be simple.

> I am looking forward to mod_proxy_ajp as it is supposed be a tiny
> bit faster.

You say you are "looking forward to mod_proxy_ajp" -- does this mean
its not available yet, or you just aren't using it yet? While I am
glad to learn now of mod_proxy_ajp, I guess this kind of adds to my
frustration a bit -- what is the way to go now and why: mod_proxy_ajp
or mod_jk?

Thanks for your help.

Brad