tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: why use mod_jk?
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2006 13:51:20 GMT
If you're using Apache 1.3.x or 2.0.x, mod_jk is pretty simple overall.

No, you don't want to even try in-process stuff and, yes, if you have a
firewall in between Apache and Tomcat that drops idle connections you
should read carefully (this is covered by the docs).

The only big complaint I have is that the mod_jk docs don't make it
terribly clear (or didn't last I checked) exactly how to set jvmRoute in
Tomcat and how extraordinarily critical this is when doing load
balancing.  The Tomcat docs don't make this terribly clear either --
apart from a comment in server.xml.  Most everyone I know who tries
mod_jk load balancing gets hung up on this one point unless/until I give
them a detailed explanation.  Apart from the lack of clear/obvious
information on this in the mod_jk docs (which should include it
considering most folk won't think to check both mod_jk and Tomcat docs),
this is actually very simple as well, though.

I am looking forward to mod_proxy_ajp as it is supposed be a tiny bit
faster.

--
Jess Holle