tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Robert Taylor <64rwtaylo...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: First JDBC tomcat app
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2006 11:48:17 GMT
What do the logs say?
Have you tried connecting to MySQL outside of Tomcat?
Does that work?
Can you get the page to display without the JDBC stuff in it?

/robert

David McMinn wrote:
> I'm stepping through the example Professional Apache Tomcat 5 book by Wrox in Chapter
14 - I have set up the mysql database and confirmed it works and set up the tomcat server
and confirmed that I can see my index.jsp page. When I try to go to http://localhost:8070/jsp-examples/wroxjdbc/JDBCTest.jsp
>   I get a standard The page cannot be displayed page.
>
>   I've included all my steps below. Anyone that can help is most appreciated. Thanks
in advance.....Dave

>   Steps I have done
>
>   1) Created a DB called everycitizen and a table called test with a column called pk.
Created user everyuser w/ a password and granted Select privileges to that user.
>   2) Copied the mysql-connector-java-3.1.12-bin.jar into $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib.
>   3)Added the following to the $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml just before the </Host
tag>. Password is blotted out.

>  <!-- added by DM 2/22/2006 -->
>  <DefaultContext>
>   <Resource name="jdbc/WroxTC5" auth="Container" type="javax.sql.Datasource"
>   driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver" url="jdbc:mysql://localhost/everycitizen"
>   username="everyuser" password="everypass" maxActive="20" maxIdle="30000" maxWait="100"/>
>  </DefaultContext>
>   4) Added the following to the $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/jsp-examples/WEB-INF web.xml file
at the bottom just before the </web-app> entry after the last env-entry.

>     <resource-ref>
>       <res-ref-name>jdbc/WroxTC5</res-ref-name>
>       <res-type>javax.sql.DataSource</res-type>
>       <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
>     </resource-ref>
>
>   5) Added the JDBCTest.jsp file and the errorpg.jsp file to $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/jsp-examples/wroxjdbc
directory. I created the wroxjdbc folder. The JDBC Test is: