tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: Fw: Servlet problem
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2006 12:42:02 GMT
I get the impression you are a beginner at this.  Reading the servlet
spec would go a long way in understanding how the servlet container
works.  For the immediate problem:

1) Try to get SearchServlet in a package.  ie:
com.mycompany.myproject.SearchServlet  This isn't strictly required for
servlet classes, but excellent practice none the less.  You will need
packaged classes for any supporting classes you develop.

2) Map your servlet to a unique url of it's own and not to the url of
existing JSPs.  When you map your servlet to a url matching a jsp, the
servlet is executed instead of the jsp per the mapping mechanism.

3) The action attribute of your form tag should be to the url you mapped
your servlet to, not it's literal location at
WEB-INF/classes/SearchServlet.  Resources inside of WEB-INF are not
directly accessible from the user and you'll get an error if you attempt it.

After the servlet does it's thing, it can forward the request to one of
your jsps as necessary.  The servlet spec can be found at
http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=154

--David