tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <>
Subject Re: Load testing with Tomcat 5.5, Apache 2.2 and mod_proxy_ajp
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2006 07:08:42 GMT
Ian Shafer wrote:
> Hello,
> I have this line in my httpd.conf file:
> ProxyPass /webapp/ ajp://localhost:8009/webapp/ min=256 max=256
> and in tomcat I have maxThreads set to 256 for both my HTTP connector
> and my AJP connector.  For some reason, though, I still get a message in
> my tomcat log saying:
> ERROR TP-Processor4 org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool - All
> threads (256) are currently busy, waiting. Increase maxThreads (256) or
> check the servlet status
> Why does this happen? I thought my 'max=256' setting in httpd.conf would
> only 256 connections at once.

Depends on the mpm you are using. If it's worker mpm, then max=256 means
that it will have max 256 connection per worker, so you can end up with
256*(MaxClients/ThreadsPerChild). If it's prefork mpm, then max=256 is
not used and is always 1. The max number of connections in that case
is MaxClients.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message