tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Wolfgang Hackl <wolf.ha...@inode.at>
Subject Re: install tomcat under linux (java problem)
Date Sun, 12 Feb 2006 20:47:50 GMT
Hallo Hannes!

Hannes Hein wrote:

> Yes. javac runs correctly.

jsvc is a C program so you don't need a java compiler for building it.

> The problem 'configure: error: installation or configuration problem:
> javac cannot compile' is solved now as java runs correctly, but it
> still  doesn't compile the sources and I have absolutely no idea why
> (see  attached file for make output).

[...]
> callisto:/srv/apache-tomcat-5.5.15/bin/jsvc-src# make
> make -C native all
> make[1]: Entering directory `/srv/apache-tomcat-5.5.15/bin/jsvc-src/native'
> gcc -g -O2 -DOS_LINUX -DDSO_DLFCN -DCPU=\"i386\" -I/usr/local/java/jdk1.5.0_06/include
-I/usr/local/java/jdk1.5.0_06/include/linux -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -c jsvc-unix.c -o jsvc-unix.o
> In Datei, eingefĆ¼gt von jsvc.h:20,
>                     von jsvc-unix.c:17:
> /usr/include/stdio.h:34:21: stddef.h: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
[...]

For those who don't speak German: "Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht
gefunden" translates to "File or directory not found". My guess is that
something is wrong with your C development tools. Perhaps the
configure-script could not find your headers as there are no entries in
the gcc output containing something like -I/usr/include. Are you sure
you have your libraries set up properly?

Check whether your compiler works by compiling following program:
#include <stdio.h>
int main(){printf("works\n");}
Command line: cc -o c-test c-test.c

Try to clean your source tree and rerun ./configure.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang