tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Eugene Poole <etpo...@adelphia.net>
Subject Re: Is There a Howto - Again
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2006 15:14:52 GMT
Bjørge Solli wrote:

>42..
>
>Both httpd(apache) and tomcat can be installed with yum on FC4. How to use
>them together depends on what you want to do. Oracle I have no clue about.
>
>In short: there is no howto covering your question. Your Q is too general. Be
>more specific on your problem and what you have managed so far and where you
>get trouble. *Then* you might get some help.

Let me give a little background on myself.  I'm a DBA by trade - I do
Oracle, DB2 UDB, and MS SQL Server.  I'm the most comfortable with
Oracle (6+ years experience).  For something to do, I built these
databases to keep my home inventory and video/music collections. But
since I process all of the databases using static sql, I am the only
person in my home that can keep them up to date.  So I thought if I can
build a 'simple' web app, anyone could help keep things current...

Specifically, here is what I've done so far:
    1.  I have apache working using the standard sample programs to test
(I used the FC4 rpms).
    2.  I have tomcat working using the standard sample programs to test
(I used the standard package).
    3.  I have oracle working since version 8i and I'm up to 10g R2.

Now I want to do the following:
    1.  Add the correct entries in the httpd.conf so that apache passes
what it should to tomcat and it works correctly.
    2.  Install and test eclipse so that I can write jsp's to duplicate
some static sql I use to process the databases - with a gui.
    3.  Document this environment  and applications so that I can give
it to anyone who wants it as a freebie.

All of this to educate myself (you know idle hands...).  I understand
that there is not a single source of reference, but where can I start
looking?
Gene