tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christian Andersson ...@ofs.no>
Subject Re: Catalina.out gets to big-> Server crashes
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2006 12:59:46 GMT
I recently came across this problem also (i've read some of the later
mails in this discussion also and I'm answering to those too) with a
tomcat 5.5.12 installation and using the ext3 filesystem.

anyway, my setup is using jsvc from the commons daemon project, and the
catalina.out file is defined in the startup script I'm using for jsvc..
and that part looks like this... (this is btw from my developer server
so ignore the fact that it is not logging to /var/log/...)

     $CATALINA_HOME/bin/jsvc \
     -user $TOMCAT_USER \
     -home $JAVA_HOME \
     -pidfile /var/run/jsvc-tomcat.pid \
     -Dcatalina.home=$CATALINA_HOME \
     -Djava.io.tmpdir=$TMP_DIR \
     -outfile $CATALINA_HOME/logs/catalina.out \
     -errfile '&1' \
     $CATALINA_OPTS \
     -cp $CLASSPATH \
     org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap

here the parameter -outfile is beeing used to tel where the catalina.out
file is..

now the question I have is now, how can I here setup jsvc so that it
uses logrotation, I've searched the net 8google, commons daemon) but not
been able to get a satisfying answer, but perheps the commons-daemon
folk in their mailing list knows more and I have to ask there...

/Christian Andersson