tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Glen Mazza <grm7...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Best practice for Capturing JSP Errors
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2006 03:57:27 GMT
Mott Leroy wrote:

> I am on Tomcat 5.0.x
>
> I am familiar with a couple ways to capture errors that occur on the JSP
> side. One way is to use the error page tag:
>
> <%@ page errorPage="MyErrorPage.jsp" %>

Chapter 10 on exception handling, Beginning JavaServer Pages (Wrox
Books, 2005), I think would be helpful for you here.

I think (am unsure) you can make your error page the same as the page
that created the error (by adding another page directive <%@page
isErrorPage="true" %> to the same page).  This way, by checking if the
${pagecontext.exception} property is populated (indicating that this
page was activated *not* as a non-exception first activation but as an
exception-based second or third activation), you can then add error
messages to the JSP page.

> And another is to define the error page in your web.xml:
>
> <error-page>
>      <error-code>500</error-code>
>       <location>/myPage.jsp</location>
> </error-page>

I would save these for generic HTTP error codes, or generic Java
exceptions (NullPointerErrors, ClassCastExceptions, perhaps), things are
more likely the result of errors in coding than in user entry, and
something the user cannot really recover from.

Also, the JSTL <c:catch var="..."/> action may be something to look at
here, to keep runtime/coding errors handled within the JSP pages,
without needing to forward to a generic error page.

Glen