tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <funk...@joedog.org>
Subject Re: The Future of Tomcat
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2006 13:05:55 GMT
Sweet sweet flame fodder. Tomcat is as alive as the community of developers
that are willing to work on it (like any open source project).

Tomcat did take a hit with respect to Sun moving resources to Glassfish. But
in general, servlet containers are fairly "mature" and boring and somewhat
stable. Its the stuff in application space which is where things are
interesting. (Portlets, web services, and any other marketroid buzzwords).

Tomcat is used in JBoss and the rep for Tomcat (who still does most of the
code changes to this point) to the Apache foundation is a JBOSS employee.
(Which could be good, bad, or neither depending on your financial interests
of your particular employer).

The current base is being tweaked to support the servlet 2.4 servlet spec/2.1
JSP spec. So from a near future point of view - things look OK.

Tomcat will die when a better alternative is available and a critical mass
move to it and stop working / using Tomcat.

-Tim

Roel De Nijs wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I heard that resources, updates, development and support of tomcat are slightly disappearing.
MAny people are looking for alternatives (e.g. JBoss). Even Microsoft and HP are cooperating
with JBoss very closely. As far as i know Tomcat is the most used app server, so it will take
lots of time to replace every Tomcat app server with some alternative.