tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: Betr.: RE: Memory Management between different webapps
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2006 12:27:54 GMT
Obviously something is different. Given tomcat and the web-app are the
same, I would guess environmental differences exist between test and
production. Do both have the same set of services? Same OS? OOM errors
can also indicate a lack of system resources such as file handles.

 Just throwing out some ideas to look in to.

 -- David

Roel De Nijs wrote:
> The problem we are confronted with: all our web-apps are running fine in our test-environment,
even if workload is simulated to be very high. If we go to production environment (which is
an exact copy of the test-environment) then tomcat gives OOME, sometimes 3-4 times a day.
And it looks to be at random situations, so it's a really big mistery why in test everything
goes well and in production it crashes more then once a day.  And it's doing it for approx
4 months now, so it's time it's getting solved.

>> From: Roel De Nijs [mailto:roel.denijs@aquafin.be]
>> I have a tomcat with ± 10 web-applications. Is there a
>> maximum or some guidance in the number of web-apps you can
>> put in one instance of Tomcat?
>>

> Tomcat itself uses relatively little memory per-webapp (a few megabytes, depending on
version).  The major load comes from the number of simultaneous connections (and hence the
size of the thread pool) and, even more, from how the webapps are written.  You're in the
best place to evaluate these.

>> And i start tomcat with the options -Xmx1024m -Xms1024m -->
>> is there some information or articles about how tomcat is
>> spreading all this memory over the web-apps? Is this
>> completely random, or first come first gets? What if a
>> web-app is called for the first time and all possible memory
>> is allocated to other web-apps?
>>

> It's all one big object memory, shared between all the webapps.  Roughly (there are many
more nuances than this): whenever it gets full, the garbage-collector is run.  If there's
not enough space to allocate an object after the garbage collector has run, you get an OutOfMemoryError.
 So memory will be allocated as your webapps request it (and potentially returned to the Java
VM's pool of free memory some unknown time after they stop using it); if a webapp is called
for the first time and there's not enough space to allocate the memory required for its startup,
you'll get an OOME.

> To my knowledge, there is no way of partitioning memory inside a single JVM such that
the amount available to a given webapp can be restricted.