tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Matthew Whisenhunt <m...@quickset-it.com>
Subject Re: tomcat + postgres
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2006 11:06:28 GMT
Thanks Tim, I have yet to post an intelligent question.
You answered my real question though.
Just for good measure I'll mention the book was O'Reilly's Java
Enterprise Best Practices... ah and the _interface_ was
javax.sql.ConnnectionPoolDataSource . Yeah, weird in the example they
actually instantiate an object that type....

So when I :
        DataSource ds = null;
        try {
            InitialContext cxt = new InitialContext();
            ds = (DataSource) cxt.lookup( "java:/comp/env/jdbc/postgres" );
        } catch (Exception e) {e.printStackTrace(out);}

        if(ds != null)try{
            Connection conn = ds.getConnection();
            PreparedStatement stmt = conn.prepareStatement("SELECT name
FROM tonight");
            ResultSet rs = stmt.executeQuery();
            *conn.close()*;
        }

conn.close() I am actually just releasing the connection and not really
closing it?

Thanks,
Matt