tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Delbecq <david.delb...@oma.be>
Subject Re: percent sign in URI
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2006 09:57:42 GMT
Hello abdurrahman,

Your url is incorrect, replace it with
http://localhost:8080/aSite/aPage?query=hi%25everybody

According to rfc 1738, 2.2. URL Character Encoding Issues

   Octets must be encoded ..., if the use of the corresponding character is unsafe, ...
   The character "%" is unsafe because it is used for encodings of other characters.
   Thus, only alphanumerics, the special characters "$-_.+!*'(),", and reserved characters
used for their reserved purposes may be used unencoded within a URL.

There is no details in RFC on how to handle badly shaped urls (like % not followed by 2 hex
digits) and thus your urls should not rely upon this.

Regards.