tomcat-users mailing list archives

From <kiran.tadepa...@wipro.com>
Subject Can we stop tomcat using System.exit(int)
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2006 09:21:17 GMT

Hi,

My web application requires database pool connection while startup, when
it fails for any reason I need to stop the tomcat server as well.
I have used System.exit(int); int here I tried with Zero and non-zero
value.

The result is tomcat gets hung.

I understand it has to do with Java rather than Tomcat, however I'm
looking for a suggestion to stop tomcat in a way similar to the above.

I have learnt to stop tomcat
a) programmatically using Bootstrap classes, (stops successfully only if
you start programmatically)
b) by invoking shutdown.sh
c) by connecting to the server at port 8005, and send the shutdown
string.

All the above methods have yielded the same result, moreover it would
make my application coded specific to tomcat or Linux;

I have also googled with the phrase "~tomcat crash", "stop ~tomcat",
"system.exit ~tomcat", ""system.exit ~jvm""; to at least find out that
the task cannot be done, however it helped me a little.

Here are the versions of server, os and java I'm using.
Tomcat: 5.x
OS : Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS 3.0
Java: 1.5

Can somebody help me regarding the same.

Regards,
Kiran Tadepalli

of this message and any attachments.

www.wipro.com