tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David McMinn <d_mcm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: first jdbc tomcat application
Date Sun, 26 Feb 2006 03:07:26 GMT
I had not added an error-page tag to the web.xml - The default behavior would be  a stack trace
which would be fine w/ me - In my jsp, I have @ page errorPage="errorpg.jsp"......

  I don't get a stack trace but I get a page w/ this message...."Cannot create JDBC driver
of class '' for connect URL 'null' ".

  Here is my original posting.

  I'm stepping through the example Professional Apache Tomcat 5 book by Wrox in Chapter 14
- I have set up the mysql database and confirmed it works and set up the tomcat server and
confirmed that I can see my index.jsp page. When I try to go to http://localhost:8070/jsp-examples/wroxjdbc/JDBCTest.jsp
  I get a standard The page cannot be displayed page.

  I've included all my steps below. Anyone that can help is most appreciated. Thanks in advance.....Dave

  Steps I have done

  1) Created a DB called everycitizen and a table called test with a column called pk. Created
user everyuser w/ a password and granted Select privileges to that user.
  2) Copied the mysql-connector-java-3.1.12-bin.jar into $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib.
  3)Added the following to the $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml just before the </Host tag>.
Password is blotted out.

 <!-- added by DM 2/22/2006 -->
 <DefaultContext>
  <Resource name="jdbc/WroxTC5" auth="Container" type="javax.sql.Datasource"
  driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver" url="jdbc:mysql://localhost/everycitizen"
  username="everyuser" password="everypass" maxActive="20" maxIdle="30000" maxWait="100"/>
 </DefaultContext>
  4) Added the following to the $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/jsp-examples/WEB-INF web.xml file at
the bottom just before the </web-app> entry after the last env-entry.

    <resource-ref>
      <res-ref-name>jdbc/WroxTC5</res-ref-name>
      <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
    </resource-ref>

  5) Added the JDBCTest.jsp file and the errorpg.jsp file to $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/jsp-examples/wroxjdbc
directory. I created the wroxjdbc folder. The JDBC Test is:

 <head>
  <%@ page errorPage="errorpg.jsp"
   import="java.sql.*,
     javax.sql.*,
     java.io.*,
     javax.naming.InitialContext,
     javax.naming.Context" %>
 </head>
   <h1>JDBC JNDI Resource Test</h1>
  <%
  InitialContext initCtx = new InitialContext();
  DataSource ds = (DataSource)initCtx.lookup("java:comp/env/jdbc/WroxTC5");
  Connection conn = ds.getConnection();
  ResultSet rset = stmt.executeQuery("select * from test;");
  %>
    <th align='left'>XXXX</th>
   <%
   while (rset.next())
   {
   %>
   <% }
   rset.close();
   stmt.close();
   conn.close();
   initCtx.close();
   %>

  and the errorpg is:

   <%@ page isErrorPage="true" %>
  <h1> An error has occurred </h1>
  <%= exception.getMessage() %>

Glen Mazza <grm7790@verizon.net> wrote:
  David McMinn escribió:

> Unfortunately the logs don't say anything - I just get a page not found. If I take that
out (and all subsequent jsp) it works fine. So right up to that point the jsp page renders
fine - When I include that one more line, it blows up. I'm still looking but if someone knows
please chime in. Thanks,

OK, then, perhaps the error page to forward to *that you have defined in
the webapp's web.xml file) doesn't exist. TC is trying to forward to
that error page, can't find it, and hence returns the page not found error.

Glen