tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Warren Pace <wap...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Tomcat 5.5 documentation: how to update website?
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT

> From: Steve Meredith <steve@sunblade.co.uk>
> Date: 2006/02/14 Tue AM 03:50:19 EST
> To: users@tomcat.apache.org
> Subject: Tomcat 5.5 documentation: how to update website?
>
> Hi all
>
> Just spent time getting the Tomcat5.sh script to work as a daemon
> under linux following the advice on the url:-
>

> "The Apache Tomcat 5.5 Servlet/JSP Container"
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/setup.html
>
> <quote>
> "The file $CATALINA_HOME/bin/jsvc/native/tomcat.sh can be used as a
> template for starting Tomcat automatically at boot time from /etc/
> init.d. The file is currently setup for running Tomcat 4.1.x, so it
> is necessary to edit it and change the classname from
> BootstrapService to Bootstrap."
> </quote>
>
> If only I'd known catalina.sh works 'out of the box'  :-)

Section 1 of the docs - under the "Directories and Files" heading, second paragraph -
"These are some of the key tomcat directories all relative to
$CATALINA_HOME
./bin - Startup, shutdown, and other scripts. The *.sh files (for Unix systems) are functional
duplicates of the *.bat files (for Windows systems). Since the Win32 command-line lacks certain
functionality, there are some additional files in here."

HOWEVER - you're better off for having used jsvc.  "Out of the box" scrips run tc as root
user.