tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Tim Lucia" <>
Subject RE: turning off sessions
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2006 21:48:52 GMT
Interesting.  You are right.  A trivial jsp with only text inside produces a
session.  I am fairly certain I have seen servlets (not JSPs) behaving
without any session tracking at all.

-----Original Message-----
From: David Durham []
Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 4:37 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: turning off sessions

Tim Lucia wrote:
> Tomcat doesn't create sessions.  Web applications create sessions.
> I.e., code says:
> HttpSession session =
> ((HttpServletRequest)request).getSession({true|false}); // true for
> create if not exist, false for don't create);

That's strange because there is no call to getSession() in my code.  So,
maybe it's the result of the fact that I'm using a JSP.  If that's the case,
then Tomcat is, in a sense, creating sessions.

Anyway, I think the context configuration that I had:

<Context path="/app">
     <Manager maxInactiveInterval="6"/>

conflicts with the default session-config from conf/web.xml

I added:

to my app, and that's good enough for me.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: