tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <>
Subject Re: hopefully?
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2006 04:03:15 GMT

"Jack" <> wrote in message
> "Bill Barker" <> wrote in message
>>> After a request & response, on the keep alive connection.
>>> The web server starts to negotiate an SSL support by sending a Hello
>>> request.
>> It won't, since it has no reason to renegotiate.
>> They will (hopefully) close the connection to port 80, and open a new
>> connection to port 443.
>> No, simply that practically no browser supports RFC2817
> Great! Thanks a lot. I got it. People have already work on this.
> RFC2817 is pretty comprehensive.
> It seems you didn't get my point, let me put in this way.
> Over a normal http connection (port 80),
> after the first request & response, the server sends "hello request".
> Is it easy for the broswer & tomcat turn the normal connection into ssl
> connection
> (still on port 80)?

Either the Connector is either expecting SSL or HTTP, but not both.  The
browser won't do it either unless you specify a https URL.  If you try this,
Tomcat will simply respond with a 400 (Bad Request), and close the socket
connection.  You can see it by doing https://localhost:8080 against an
out-of-the-box Tomcat install.

> Thank you for your time.

To unsubscribe, e-mail: