tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Peter Crowther" <Peter.Crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject RE: writing files with a web application
Date Mon, 23 Jan 2006 12:31:20 GMT
> From: SOA Work [mailto:soawork@web.de]

Check the Servlet Spec (version 2.4 is at
http://www.jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/final/jsr154/
) for questions of this kind.

>From memory in both cases (so treat with caution):

> 1.) am I allowed to call main methods or programms in my web
> applicatio?

If you wish to be spec-compliant, no.  However, it should work depending
on Tomcat's security settings.

> 2.) am I allowed to write files on the disk from within an
> web application? If I am, something went wrong while trieing ;-)
> Can i write anywhere or have I to write to my application dir
> or to temp dir or something.

If you wish to be spec-compliant, you can only write to a temporary
directory that you ask the context for.  However, this may or may not be
enforced depending on Tomcat's security settings.

		- Peter