tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: [OT] ParallelGCThreads more than cpu count
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2006 05:02:30 GMT
> From: Andri Herumurti [mailto:vynx_1999@yahoo.com]
> Subject: RE: [OT] ParallelGCThreads more than cpu count
>
> is there any weakness if i setting like that?

There will be some potential of extra overhead due to unnecessary
switching and lock contention, but I would expect the effect to be
rather minor (haven't measured it).  Since garbage collection is
CPU-bound activity (no I/O - other than possible paging - and limited
lock contention), there's no real advantage to having more GC threads
than CPUs.

When UseParallelGC is enabled, the default number of GC threads in a
HotSpot JVM is the number of CPUs for 8 or less processors, and 3 plus
5/8 of the number of CPUs for larger systems.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.