tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Hooper, Paul" <phoo...@msilm.com>
Subject Starting Tomcat
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:34:32 GMT
Hello,

I am a new Tomcat user and am having some difficulties starting the
server ;

So far, I have downloaded the software ;
apache-tomcat-5.5.15.tar.gz
Uncompressed and un tarred
Created the following environment variables :

	CATALINA_HOME=/vg_LION1/app/lionweb/apache-tomcat-5.5.15
	TOMCAT_HOME=/vg_LION1/app/lionweb/apache-tomcat-5.5.15
	CATALINA_TMPDIR=/vg_LION1/app/lionweb/apache-tomcat-5.5.15/temp

Run the following :

$ bin/startup.sh
Using CATALINA_BASE:   /vg_LION1/app/lionweb/apache-tomcat-5.5.15
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /vg_LION1/app/lionweb/apache-tomcat-5.5.15
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /vg_LION1/app/lionweb/apache-tomcat-5.5.15/temp
Using JRE_HOME:       /export/home/liondev/software/java_1.4.2_10

Which returns status code 0, but no process gets started and there is no
trace in the logs.

I then attempted to start as a daemon process using jscv :

./bin/jsvc -Djava.endorsed.dirs=./common/endorsed -cp
./bin/bootstrap.jar \
           -outfile ./logs/catalina.out -errfile ./logs/catalina.err \
           org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap

However, ./common/endorsed is not part of the Tomcat installation.

This also fails, with the following in the catalina.err log :

Jan 25, 2006 11:27:53 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap
initClassLoaders
SEVERE: Class loader creation threw exception
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/management/MBeanServerFactory
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.createClassLoader(Bootstrap.java:1
65)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.initClassLoaders(Bootstrap.java:97
)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.init(Bootstrap.java:193)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.init(Bootstrap.java:261)
        at
a:39)
        at
Impl.java:25)
        at
org.apache.commons.daemon.support.DaemonLoader.load(DaemonLoader.java:16
0)

I am not a java developer, so am now stuck !
Please could you offer some advice to get me up and running.

Thanks

Paul

_Confidentiality notice: Whilst this company has procedures in place and
makes every effort to safeguard both Inbound and Outbound Emails, we cannot guarantee that
attachments are Virus - Free or compatible with your systems and therefore we do not accept
any liability in respect of viruses or computer problems experienced. This e-mail and any
files transmitted with it are confidential and/or privileged. They are for the intended recipient
only. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, review, distribute, disclose,
alter, print, copy, transmit or rely on this e-mail and any file transmitted with it. If you
have received this e-mail and any file transmitted with it in error please notify the sender
or Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance (London Management) Ltd Registered 4th Floor, 71 Fenchurch St,
London, EC3M 4BS Company Number 1063340 email: response@msilm.com

Syndicate 3210 (acting through its Managing Agent at Lloyd's), Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance (London)
Limited and Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Company Limited are all regulated by the Financial Services
Authority.