tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Richard Schilling <schill...@cognitiongroup.biz>
Subject Re: From Java to C#, ASP.NET [Off Topic]
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2006 03:54:52 GMT
You're right Tony, this posting is painfully off-topic for this list.
Perhaps along with your new C# programming skills you can get work as an
advertising writer for Microsoft.

But, having said that, I would like to point out that Microsoft dumps a
lot of money into researching and developing creature-features in their
products, and developer "hand-holding."  Which is why you see the
features you do.  It's worthwhile to do a side-by-side features
comparison and take advantage of Microsoft's investment into features
development, and be aware of what features might attracts developers to
a particular servlett platform like Tomcat.

But, the bottom line with the Microsoft development tools, which I pay
closely attention to myself, is that what you get in creature comforts
you trade for in licensing fees and flexibility.  That makes the
"perceived advantage" you see is Microsoft products short lived - much
shorter than the end-of-life cycle for Visual Studio.

You might also consider that a skilled team with paper and pencil can
develop and maintain Tomcat deployed applications that rival anything
you can make with Visual Studio....... and at less cost overall.

Richard Schilling