tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Glen Mazza <grm7...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Connection Pool Woes
Date Mon, 23 Jan 2006 23:35:26 GMT
Alex Turner wrote:

> Somehow I doubt the JSTL authors were so short sighted as not to
> release database connections properly.  I'm sure they had production
> usage in mind when it was written, I'm just wondering how.

Actually, they seemed to mostly have rapid prototyping in mind with the
JSTL SQL tags.  From the JSTL Specification, Chapter 10:

"Many web applications need to access relational databases as the source
of dynamic data for their presentation layer. While it is generally
preferred to have database operations handled within the business logic
of a web application designed with an MVC architecture, there are
situations where page authors require this capability within their JSP
pages (e.g. prototyping/testing, small scale/simple applications,
lack of developer resources)."

But I would agree that the JSTL tags "should" be releasing DB
connections properly--AFAICT the JSTL spec seems to indicate this is
automatically done.

Glen