tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: how to configure the tomcat 5.5.12 for a port 80 in linux (Gentoo)??
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2006 13:13:31 GMT
Gaël Lams wrote:

>>So, I have configure a tomcat for a port 8080 in Linux (Gentoo), but when I try chance
this port to 80 this make mistaje of Permission in de logs

>>What can I do?
>>

>It realley depends if it's fine with you to run Tomcat as root
>You have three possibilities:
>- if you don't care about running Tomcat as root and don't already
>have apache listening on port 80, change the port and start Tomcat as
>root.
>- if you prefer to run Tomcat as a non-priviled user (listening on
>port 8080) and have apache, use mod_jk and configure tomcat and apache
>accordingly (see doc on tomcat web site): your users will connect to
>port 80
>- if you prefer to run Tomcat as a non-priviliged user (listening on
>port 8080) and you don't have apache, redirect requests made on port
>80 to port 8080 using iptables.
>
>Regards,
>
>Gaël

And there's always option number 4 -- use jsvc from the commons-daemon
project to start tomcat safely as root and then drop root privilege for
normal operations.  This will get you port 80 without the inherent risks
of running a process as root.  Tomcat's bin directory has an archive of
the jsvc source for building and there are binaries for some platforms
on the website:

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/daemon

--David