tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jon Wingfield <jon.wingfi...@mkodo.com>
Subject Re: problem calling request.getParameter("myparameter") in jsp
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2006 10:11:52 GMT
Your underlying problem is the exclamation mark at the start of your
scriptlet. This makes the jsp ompiler put free standing code into the
init method or creates methods on the servlet that you can call within
your jsp. Without the exclamation mark the compiler inlines the
scriptlet into the _jspService() method, which is the behaviour you require.

So, you should have:
<%   String query = request.getParameter("display") ;  %>
instead of
<%!   String query = request.getParameter("display") ;  %>

HTH,

Jon

marju jalloh wrote:
> I got it. HttpRequest throws an exception by enclosing
> String query = request.getParameter("display") in a try and catch block everything was
fine
> marju jalloh <jallohmarju@yahoo.com> wrote: I see
>  <%!   String query = request.getParameter("display") ;  %>
>  is declared in the init()  of the servlet.I changed it but now I`m getting
>
> org.apache.jasper.JasperException
> java.lang.NullPointerException which should not execute the query
>
> Can anyone throw licht on this
>
> Thanks
>

> marju jalloh  wrote:  Hi everyone
> I  `m writing a bean application to execute sql query.The query properties in the Bean
works perfect.I have a jsp with textArea where the user can enter query.The query is the required
parameter that the Bean should execute.

> snippet
>

>     [input]
>

> <%!   String query = request.getParameter("display") ;  %>
>
> <%
> if(!query.equals("") || !query.equals(null))
>   {
>               String selector = (query.substring(0,6)).trim();
>               out.write(selector);
>               if(selector.equals("SELECT")){
>                    out.write(myBean.getData());
>               }else
>                 if(selector.equals("INSERT")){
>                    myBean.setData(query) ;
>                 }else
>                 if(selector.equals("DELETE")){
>                   myBean.setDelete(query);
>                 }
>                 else
>                    out.write("nothing is entered");
>         }
> %>
> My problem is when the jsp page is requested for the first time
>  I got this error:
> cannot find symbol variable request.
> I know I should have null for  request.getParameter("display")  at first access and that
is caugt.If I  submit the form then the content of the textarea should be