tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Steven Peterson <speter...@listpilot.com>
Subject Re: How do I log to file jasper compile error messages?
Date Tue, 10 Jan 2006 15:46:29 GMT

>>I am migrating from version 4.1 to 5.5 and am wrestling with the logging.
>>How do I get compile errors from jasper to go to a log file instead of the
>>console?  I have set swallowOutput to true in the context config, and added
>>the below entries to the {catalina_home}/conf/logging.properties file.  But
>>when I call a jsp page with a compile error, I see the error on the console
>>but not in any of the log files.  Any pointers as to what I am missing?
>>
>> #add the 6mpower... entry to the handlers
>> handlers = 1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler,
>> 2localhost.org.apache.juli.FileHandler,
>> 3manager.org.apache.juli.FileHandler, 4admin.org.apache.juli.FileHandler,
>> 5host-manager.org.apache.juli.FileHandler,
>> 6mpower.org.apache.juli.FileHandler, java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler
>>
>> 6mpower.org.apache.juli.FileHandler.level = FINE
>> 6mpower.org.apache.juli.FileHandler.directory = ${catalina.base}/logs
>> 6mpower.org.apache.juli.FileHandler.prefix = mpower.
>>
>> org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/mpower].level
>> = INFO
>> org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/mpower].handlers

>> = 6mpower.org.apache.juli.FileHandler
>>

>Try:
> org.apache.jasper.handlers=6mpower.org.apache.juli.FileHandler

Thanks for the suggestion.  I added this line right after the
handlers=... line, but there is still no change.  The "mpower" log file
is created, but jasper compile errors are not being logged to it.  Is
jasper running under a different classloader? ... and would this confuse
logging?  This suggestion makes sense -- why wouldn't it work?

- Steve Peterson