tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Patrick S Ward <>
Subject Re: accessing port 8443 with http
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2006 19:53:33 GMT
The only reason that I ask is because the Apache HTTP server does not
behave in this fashion; when I access http://<server>:443 I get a
400 Bad Request error code as expected.

Is there anyway to configure Tomcat to yield a 400 Bad Request error
code if a user attempts to access the SSL port via http ?

David Smith wrote:
> Because port 8443 in your setup is using SSL.  The HTTPS protocol and
> HTTP protocol start out negotiation in very different ways.  I'm sure to
> the average browser it looks like it's receiving a binary stream when in
> fact the negotiation starts out with the server sending it's public key
> certificate.
> --David
> Patrick S Ward wrote:
>> I have a Tomcat 5.5.9 web application server running on a webserver
>>  listening on port 8443.
>> Why is it that when I access http://<webserver>:8443, I am
>> prompted to download a file of the format application/octet-stream
>> from any browser from any platform?
>> If I access https://<webserver>:8443, I see the tomcat home page.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: