tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Brian Shacklett <br...@digital-traffic.net>
Subject Dynamic virtual hosts
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2006 05:01:07 GMT
I'm setting up a development environment using Apache httpd and Tomcat.
I want to set up two different areas for each site: development and
staging. The development area will be for constantly changing files and
will reside in /home/[username]/development/[domain]. The staging area
will be more for testing and bug fixing and will reside at
/development/[domain]. What I'm trying to figure out right now is how to
get Tomcat to work with files in both locations. I'd like
[username].[domain].dev.myserver.tld to go to the development area of
the specified username and [domain].staging.myserver.tld to go to the
staging directory.

It looks like it's quite easy to do this all with Apache. A site located
at: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vhosts/mass.html has all the info I
need to get it going using mod_vhost_alias and possibly mod_rewrite. I
haven't found any information at all, however, on how to do something
like this with Tomcat.

I'd be very grateful for any info. Also, if you've got a better idea of
how I might set things up (especially with how to get to a specific
user's development folder) I'd be very interested in hearing that as well.

Thanks!