tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Wolfgang Hackl <wolf.ha...@inode.at>
Subject Re: [OT] Top posting (was RE: question)
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2006 19:59:29 GMT
Peter Crowther wrote:

>>From: Carl Olivier [mailto:carl.olivier@unysen.co.uk]
>>A lot of people on this forum Top Post.
>>
>>Is this really such a big issue?
>>

>I can sum it up with the following quote:
>
>-- snip --
>A: Top posting.
>
>Q: What's the most confusing thing about mailing list messages?
>-- snip --

[longish explanation and field report why top posts are bad]

There are some good links providing instructions on proper posting in
usenet and mailing lists:
http://alt-usage-english.org/posting_quotes.html
Those who understand German can enjoy this one: http://got.to/quote

I suggest a monthly posting of a short version of this lists's FAQ (or
just a link to http://tomcat.apache.org/faq/). It would help making this
list more readable since it would avoid many unnecessary postings.

I do also suggest to use 'proper' (which implies a poduct from an
organisation other than Microsoft) mail clients like Mozilla Thunderbird
but that's just wishful thinking...

Kind regards,

Wolfgang