tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Paul Smith <psm...@aconex.com>
Subject JDBC Session Persistence in a cluster problem/question
Date Tue, 10 Jan 2006 06:44:52 GMT
	From: 	  psmith@aconex.com
	Subject: 	JDBC Session persistence in a cluster problem/question
	Date: 	10 January 2006 5:42:51 PM
	To: 	  user@tomcat.apache.org

[For context, Tomcat 5.5.12]

Hello all,

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding exactly what the
capabilities are of the whole PersistenceManager and how it saves
session data.  here's what I we have configured in server.xml:

        <Host name="localhost" appBase="foo" >
                 <Context path="/" docBase="${catalina.home}/app/mel/" >
                  <Manager
className="org.apache.catalina.session.PersistentManager" >
                         <Store
className="org.apache.catalina.session.JDBCStore"

connectionURL="jdbc:inetdae7:tower.aconex.com?
database=paul&amp;user=sql&amp;password=sql"
                         driverName="com.inet.tds.TdsDriver"
                         sessionIdCol="session_id"
                         sessionValidCol="valid_session"
                         sessionMaxInactiveCol="max_inactive"
                         sessionLastAccessedCol="last_access"
                         sessionTable ="tomcat_sessions"
                         sessionAppCol = "app_name"
                         sessionDataCol = "session_data"
                         />
                  </Manager>
         </Context>
         </Host>

Sessions are persisting, as we can see the new rows being added to
the DB.  Fine, great.

However in our test cluster environment we have noticed that session
variables (strings, Integers) are being "lost" during the failover to
the other node in the cluster.  From looking at the Javadoc of the
PersistentManager and other related info on the net, I can't see
anywhere where it indicates that the Session is persisted to the DB
when the session is updated/modified/addedto.  It seems to only have
settings that set how long to wait before saving to the persistence
store.

1). Am I correct in my understanding so far?
2) . If so, is this design because of the likely performance impact
of all these session changes, and the somewhat unlikely case of the
server going down in the first place.
3). do I have any options here?  We really do need a pretty seamless
failover with session information being kept in sync as it failsover
to the other node in the cluster.

cheers,

Paul Smith