tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Monica Wu" <Monica...@XenoPort.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat upgrade: 3.3.1 --> 5.0.28, hang up after running 1 or 2 days
Date Mon, 23 Jan 2006 23:52:56 GMT
As I mentioned in last email, I rolled back Tomcat 5.0 to 3.3 last Friday. It played dead again
after lunch today (Monday). I had trouble restarting it - dead very soon after restart. The
similar symptom to Tomcat 5.0.

Later I decided to remove tomcat 5.0 and Java sdk 5.0 and J2EE 5.0 completely. Re-installed
JDK1.3.1 and J2EE 1.3.0. Re-started. It runs until now (about 1 hour).

My question:

Do you think different version of java and tomcat co-exist on the same machine causes this
problem? For each version, the system environment variables, classpath, java_home and path,
were adjusted to a single version. Tomcat5's service.bat file was ensured to point to Java5.

- Monica

-----Original Message-----
From: Monica Wu [mailto:Monica.Wu@XenoPort.com]
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 9:43 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Tomcat upgrade: 3.3.1 --> 5.0.28, hang up after running 1
or 2 days

Thank you for your input, Aparna!

Based on Chunk and Aparna's suggestion, I changed PermGen/Heap parameters to be 128M/256M.
It worked well on the following day too. However, Friday's traffic is usually light. I am
not sure these new parameter values would fix this problem.

Instead of keeping testing this production web server with every end user, I rolled this web
server back to V.3.3.1, which had run smoothly for about 4 years.

About updating to Tomcat 5.5. Since the cause is not unclear, and some Tomcat 5.5 hangups
were reported as well, I don't think simply upgrading to 5.5 would fix my problem.

Thank you all for your help and attention!

- Monica