tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Endre StĂžlsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>
Subject Memory leaking: WebappClassLoader isn't GC'ed
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2006 02:03:05 GMT
Hi!

I have a memory-leak.

That is, I can't start my full application and have unload-capability. If
I "comment out" (by adding 'if (false) { ... }') large chuncks of the
system, I manage to get it up, _and_ get it down again!

Currently, pretty much the whole application have to be commented out to
enable webapp unloading to actually let the system be GC'ed. Both if I
comment in the starting of WebMacro, or the "subsystem" that parses the
system XML configuration (which uses on jdom), I can't unload.

The problem seems to be that I get a large cluster with somehow-reacable
objects forming - all having the not-GC'ed WebappClassLoader somewhere in
common.

Is there any documentation out there that can give me a definitive clue?
I've used VERY MUCH time on this problem now, and searched high and low
for answers. I've used JProfiler and YourKit to my limit too, and still
can't seem to get an understanding: Using the "find GC roots", I sometimes
get an _elaborate_ diagram including lots of tomcat and sun mbean-stuff
that I don't know (!), but often there is just an _annoying_ "other gc
root" or "Other GC".

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
Endre