tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Endre StĂžlsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>
Subject RequestDumperValve screws UTF-8 parameter parsing
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2006 22:06:39 GMT
Enabling the RequestDumperValve in both 5.5.12 and 5.0.16 (!) messes
up the parsing of other-than-ISO-8859-1 incoming parameters.

After using a rather huge bunch of hours, this came down as the result:
when this "debug valve" is turned on, it seems to default to ISO-8859-1
when it parses and log-outputs the incoming parameters, thus also
implicitly setting the entire Request-object to this enc, so any subsequnt
setting to UTF-8 doesn't matter at all. At least this is true for POST
paramters.

For GET parameters, the situation is a little different. Here an explicit
setting of URIEncoding to UTF-8 seems to work as it should, while
useBodyEncodingForURI doesn't - it picks up the wrong already implicitly
set encoding. (For 5.0.16 I can't seem to get the latter version to work,
and have to use the explicit setting.)

Sorry if my analysis doesn't hold water, but at least the bug seems to be
very consistent.

Regards,
Endre.