tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Warren Pace <wap...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Re: users Digest of: get.137891
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
Marco,
I used Fedora Core 4 briefly.  I am certain that there's an easier way to go about this but
 here's what I went through in order to use jsvc on FC 4.
1)To get a more recent JDK, since I couldn't install using Sun's RPM for the reasons you listed,
I downloaded a binary (tar.gz) and went about the business of deleting and recreating all
of Fedora's symlinks (etc/alternatives) to point to the new JDK.  This took some time but
everything java used the new JVM.
2)Next, I inspected the Fedora installation of Tomcat and made a paper list of the directory
structure and then downloaded a newer version of Tomcat (5.5.9 at the time).
3)Uninstalled the current Tomcat with yum.
4)Decompressed the new Tomcat binaries and moved files according to the Fedora layout.
5)Following the instructions at http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/setup.html I compiled
jsvc
6)Using /etc/skeleton and the example script in $CATALINA_HOME/bin/jsvc-src/native as guides,
wrote a new tomcat5 script to be placed in /etc/init.d to start tomcat as a daemon using jsvc.
7)Added symlinks to the new  /etc/init.d/tomcat5 to /etc/init.d/rc3.d and /etc/int.d/rc5.d
I wish I had saved a copy of my script.  Also, you may want to increase the amount of memory
available by adding a line like "-Xms 64M -Xmx128M \" (without the quotes) immediately after
the $CATALINA_OPTS \ line in the script (just make sure that it appears before the -cp $CLASSPATH
\ entry.

> From: Marco Rossi <swmrrossi@yahoo.com>
> Date: 2005/12/30 Fri PM 12:37:06 EST
> To: users@tomcat.apache.org
> CC: wapace@bellsouth.net
> Subject: Re: users Digest of: get.137891
>
> Hi Warren,
> Thanks for your script in tomcat users archive.
>
> I'm using  a plain fedora core 4 with shipped tomcat 5.0.30.
> Due to jdk release problems mentioned in Fedora Core realese note (RPM Package  from
SUN overlap namespaces in fedora: I prefer reading it, Fedora overlaps names of Sun sdk rpm)

> I tried with "two jdk"
> I built a 1.4.2_9 from jpackage
> I brutaly used 1.5.0 rpm from sun
>
> Let me open up the question, if there anyone in this list who is using jsvc on fedora
core ?

> If so, which versions are you using ?
> And which method (rpm from jpackage, tar.gz from apache ..) you used to install it ?
>
> Thanks,
> Marco
>

> From: Warren Pace <wapace@bellsouth.net>
> To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: Jsvc jar
> Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 13:07:09 -0500
>
>  Which tomcat version are you running and on what 'nix?
> >
> > From: Marco Rossi
> > Date: 2005/12/29 Thu AM 08:09:31 EST
> > To: users@tomcat.apache.org
> > Subject: Jsvc jar
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm newbie to jsvc, I've found in list archive a past discussion on the topic[1].
I'm using the script mentioned here according to my java/tomcat config,but in my catalina.out
I see this errror

> > Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM warning: Can't detect initial thread stack location -
find_vma failed
> > 29/12/2005 13:47:18 30528 jsvc.exec error: Cannot find daemon loader org/apache/commons/daemon/support/DaemonLoader
> > 29/12/2005 13:47:18 30527 jsvc.exec error: Service exit with a return value of 1
> >
> > I got a doubt regarding commons-daemon.jar, tomcat documentations states "...Commons-Daemon
JAR file is in the Class-Path         entry of the bootstrap.jar manifest .."
> > But in archive I downloaded from apache  http://www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/commons/daemon/binaries/commons-daemon-1.0.1.tar.gz
> > I can't find any jar: I find the C code I've compiled but no jar.
> >
> > As I newbie I don't understand: I rember thath jar files should be put on the CLASSPATH
variable or appended as java option, otherwise in bootstrap.jar I see