tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Akoulov, Alexandre" <alexandre.akou...@citigroup.com>
Subject Apache does not override errors coming from Tomcat
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2006 00:39:56 GMT
Hi all,

I'd appreciate if you could help with the following problem.

In our environment apache 1.3.33 acts as a web server that dispatches certain requests to
tomcat 5.5. What we're currently trying to achieve is to make apache handle errors that come
from tomcat (eg, if tomcat throws 404 Not Found error let apache display the appropriate html
page).

We've used ErrorDocument directive in apache to specify what html pages to show for different
errors:

ErrorDocument 400 /forbidden.html
ErrorDocument 401 /unauthorised.html
ErrorDocument 403 /forbidden.html
ErrorDocument 404 /missing.html
ErrorDocument 500 /server_error.html

The problem is that apache does not override errors that come from tomcat but rather propagates
them to the client (web browser). Eg, if the user has requested the resource that does not
exist in tomcat he/she gets "HTTP Status 404 - ..." page generated by tomcat while we're expecting
it to be overridden by apache with the missing.html page.

Any ideas on what's happening?

Kind regards,

Sasha.