tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Akoulov, Alexandre [IT]" <alexandre.akou...@citigroup.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 5.5.x and java 1.4.x
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2006 22:21:22 GMT
Thanks a lot, Chuck, for your replies.

>But the real question is, why are you compiling Tomcat at all?
I'd like to ensure that the code can be compiled without problems. This involves downloading
all the libraries required by the compilation process, etc. Once  tomcat is compiled and tested
it is released into prod environment. Such process ensures that if there is a need to modify
tomcat's behaviour (eg, fix the bug) then we can modify the source and recompile it straight
away.

As you've mentioned we could just get the binary version. However if there was a problem then
we'd face a greater production downtime because it would not be compiled by us and therefore
we'd have to start with setting up the build environment (which involves getting all the libs)
rather than fixing the problem .

Kind regards,

Sasha.